Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Well-Watered Garden

Well...it's been an interesting month, but I'm holding off discussing much adoption-related specifics until things feel more on their way.  But on the way they are.  I just have a hard time believe we are really here, even though it feels like a long-awaited milestone for our family.   

You know how God can surprise you sometimes?  Knowing He is there, loving us, and giving us the ability to work, I've been working.  Hard.  Too hard.  I hit my limit, and I cannot do more and still do my "second job" (the paperwork chase).  Under those circumstances, God stepped in with a wonderful surprise.  We bought our house, with it's plain little backyard last year.  Our house needed some work (don't they always?), and I've longed for some private, backyard space I actually want to sit in.  My husband and I would often have coffee on the balcony of our apartment, a relaxing ritual we had adopted.  But an all-grass backyard of relatively small size, with a gaw-geous wooden privacy fence to stare at, didn't beckon us out much.  But who cares, right?  We're focused on bringing our child home!  Well, it seems someone (me) is supposed to be trusting Someone else for our practical and our emotional needs. 

Our parents are part of gardening circles, and work they did for a local flower breeder was recently rewarded with a great, crazy abundant gift.  When my mom tried to purchase flowers on my behalf at a local flower show, he stopped her saying "Oh, no you don't."  This man dug up 100 bulbs for me- no charge!  Wow.  But that could be attributed to my parents' hard work, right?  Okay, so you need more?

Well, what if we start digging...and hit something hard.  Rats, what now?  A brick.  Ugh, looks like nothing's as easy as you think.  Another brick....the whole area was apparently a storage area for extra bricks from the house at one time.  Well, let's get to it.  Three....four....ten....twelve....twenty....just enough bricks to edge all the garden areas!  Down to the half bricks.  Exactly, not one extra, not one missing.  Buried treasure.  All told, hundreds upon hundreds in flowers and bricks to border them with.

A need I didn't know I had.

One beautiful garden!  

Doing good for my soul, refreshing me.
 
Even this He cares for. 

"The Lord will guide you continually,
and satisfy your soul in drought,
and strengthen your bones;
you shall be like a well-watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail."
Isaiah 58:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.