Monday, July 2, 2012

On Coupons, Lists, and Other Endeavors of Limited Usefulness

One of the things I do when I'm waiting is I make lists to organize for when the waiting is over.  Lately I've been trying to come up with a list of items we can stash to give us a break the first month or so home.  I coupon moderately for a working girl, and although I've never stockpiled, it's tempting.  When I say stockpiling, I don't mean the TLC Extreme Couponing kind.  Most stockpilers use coupons when the store has sales or offers other incentives, and then only buy as much as they need to make it to the next sale cycle.  And they don't spend extra on "deals" within their weekly budget- that kind of defeats the purpose!  With the aim being to take a shopping break when we are jet-lagged and learning our first baby...who is, oh, a toddler with his or her own ideas, I have come up with exactly two categories: personal care items for the grown-ups and baby wipes.

This is this thing: In my own way In a real way, I'm expecting, and I have the same nesting feelings I always thought I'd feel.  But, y'all, in adoption, nesting is hard!  Before adoption, I took for granted ideas such as:

1.  Our child will fit into a relatively predictable clothing size (I said relatively!).
2.  Our child will need diapers.  I will have an idea of the size diapers I will need.
3.  I know what our child will need for feeding.
4.  I know our child's developmental stage and what toys he or she will probably like.
5.  Our child will need nursery furniture.

The reality is, we don't know what size clothing we'll need.  It depends on the age, the medical issues, and the uniqueness of our child.  We don't know what season we will travel in, and of course we don't therefore know what seasons we will be transitioning through clothing sizes.  Our child may be in diapers, potty trained, somewhere in between, or maybe even used to having split pants.  Our child may be on formula we have access to (prepared per instructions or modified), formula we don't have access to...all the way to to eating table foods.  So no point buying formula in advance.  We may need bottles, special bottles/feeding supplies, sippie cups, cups...the list goes on.  Toys- let's not even go there!  Where sleeping is concerned, we may need a crib, or just a toddler bed.

And you know what?  I don't get a solid answer here.  I can make a list of items to prepare, but I don't get to assume I've got it covered.  Just in case I thought I had a shred of control over this.  Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.