Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy Independence Day!


For the Fourth of July, I posted a John Adams quote elsewhere:

"It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solomn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more.  You will think me transported with Enthusiam, but I am not.  I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States.  Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory.  I can see the End is more than worth all the Means.  And that Posterity will tyumph in the days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

-John Adams in a letter to Abigail, July 3, 1776

Ehem, perhaps I should have been more specific.  Games that do not involve random teenagers shooting off leftover fireworks in our neighbor's backyard.  Bonfires that have no capacity to start on my roof or in my home.  Illuminations that do not wake us at 2am, terrify the dog, and startle our more elderly neighbors.  Thank you.  Let's try this again:

"Everything in life should be done with reflection." -John Adams

In other news, we had a great BBQ courtesy of Granddaddy.  It's been years since we did it just exactly this way, at the grandparents house, with the decorations, the picnics, the music, the non-stop hum of conversation, the full den, and the all-important blackened hot dogs!  It was fun.  And nostalgic.  These are times I can't wait to share with our child.  They are also the times I wish we could give our family that satisfied joy that comes with having small children playing nearby.  It has been several years since toddlers invaded Grandmamma's pantry.  I firmly believe little fingers testing the piano are essential to rounding out a party.  Little one, the whole family is so excited to meet you!         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.